The BlueBuzzards Flying Scooter Display Team Forum
September 26, 2017, 21:42:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Arcade Search Member Map Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pratchett is a genius. No other word for the man.  (Read 1800 times)
bloodfalls
Die-hard immortalist and infant author
Dragon
United Kingdom

Kills +193/-17

Ivories -- Flying Officer, Grey Hawk Squadron

macronencer
« on: February 27, 2014, 18:23:40 »

For years, various people, including many here, have been encouraging me to read Guards! Guards!, and I have finally begun to do so: I'm about 20% through the audio book now, read by Nigel Planer, who does a great job.

I haven't laughed so hard for ages. Absolutely amazing and concisely powerful writing.
I love his description of the Mended Drum:

Coils of smoke hung in the air, perhaps to avoid touching the walls.
hystery1

When all about you have lost their heads... look down at your hands and check for an axe.

My Face - - - My Tunes - - - My Daubs - - - My Adventurous Self - - - My Goodness! - - - My, oh my...
Juggler
Head Brewer
Dragon
United Kingdom

Kills +213/-13

Volare Natus Sumus, Ventos Equitamus

bluebuzzards
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 18:43:20 »

One of my personal Faves

It all depends on how much you know.

Suppose you'd watched the slow accretion of snow over thousands of years as it was compressed and pushed over the deep rock until the glacier calved its icebergs into the sea, and you watched an iceberg drift out through the chilly waters, and you got to know its cargo of happy polar bears and seals as they looked forward to a brave new life in the other hemisphere where they say the ice floes are lined with crunchy penguins, and then wham -- tragedy loomed in the shape of thousands of tons of unaccountably floating iron and an exciting soundtrack...

...you'd want to know the whole story.

Scientists say the Universe is made up of Protons, Neurons and Electrons. They forgot to mention morons!
bloodfalls
Die-hard immortalist and infant author
Dragon
United Kingdom

Kills +193/-17

Ivories -- Flying Officer, Grey Hawk Squadron

macronencer
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 16:56:19 »

Now working my way through the entire Discworld series on audiobook. I've really enjoyed the first two (The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic), both of which were read brilliantly by Nigel Planer. Now, just an hour into Equal Rites, I've quickly grown used to Celia Imrie's voice, and I think I'll be fine with it

For me, there's really no-one but Nigel when it comes down to it, but on the other hand, as one reviewer pointed out on iTunes, the number of critical reviews for Celia's narration is ironically high given that there's a theme of sexual equality in the book: it's an interesting point...

When all about you have lost their heads... look down at your hands and check for an axe.

My Face - - - My Tunes - - - My Daubs - - - My Adventurous Self - - - My Goodness! - - - My, oh my...
Twinky
Buzzards
Squadron Leader
United Kingdom

Kills +48/-0

Lizard Squadron

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 08:11:43 »

I also agree. I have just finished reading Raising Steam having read the full main Discworld Books from start to finish. Colour of Magic to Raising Steam. I have loved every one, some more than others admittedly but I'll be reading them all again sometime. I always seem to pick up a bit more each time. There so much in them.

Which brings me to the question of disposing of a few books!! We have gone down the ebook route so are slowly replacing the book collection with electronic versions. We therefore have the first 18 or so Discworld books that are surplus to requirements. Anybody out there want them? Free to a good home or they'll be off to the Charity Shop!!

Snap them chains
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc